Local Government Elections

Local government ordinary elections are held on the third Saturday in October every two years. The next local government ordinary elections will be held on 19 October 2019.

Councillors are elected for terms of four years in Western Australia. Elections are held every two years for half of the council, and candidates are elected using the first-past-the-post voting system. If a vacancy occurs within a term, an extraordinary election is held.

The Town of Cottesloe has generally appointed the Western Australian Electoral Commission as the Returning Officer to conduct a postal election for the Town. By making the Electoral Commissioner responsible for these elections, the local governments concerned ensure that elections are conducted independently and with impartiality.

For local government elections, rolls close at 5.00pm, 50 days prior to polling day. All electors should check their enrolment details are up to date before rolls close.

If the number of candidates is equal to the number of vacancies, the candidate is elected unopposed. If there are more candidates than vacancies, the election will proceed.

For postal elections, all eligible electors will receive a postal voting package around three weeks prior to polling day. The package will include a list of candidates, ballot papers, instructions on how to vote and a declaration. To vote, follow the instructions included in the package.

The Returning Officer must receive your postal voting package before 6.00pm on polling day. If you do not think that your postal voting package can be returned by post in time, you can deliver it by hand to a polling official.

While voting in a local government election is not compulsory in Western Australia, all electors are strongly encouraged to vote.

Elected Member Nomination Requirements

An Ordinary Postal Election will be held on Saturday, 19 October 2019 in the Town of Cottesloe to fill the following vacancies:

Central Ward

1 Councillor

4 Year Term

East Ward

1 Councillor

4 Year Term

North Ward

1 Councillor

4 Year Term

South Ward

1 Councillor

4 Year Term

Nominations Open on Thursday, 5 September 2019

Nominations Close at 4pm Thursday, 12 September 2019

Nominations must be lodged with the Returning Officer – Lisa Wilkinson:

  • At any time during the above period by arrangement; or 
  • The Returning Officer will be in the Town's Administration Offices, 109 Broome Street:
    • Tuesday 10 September 2019, 10am - 4pm
    • Thursday 12 September 2019, 10am - 4pm

Nominations Requirements

Candidates are required to lodge with the Returning Officer:

  • a completed nomination in the prescribed form signed and witnessed. This form is available from the Returning Officer, the Western Australian Electoral Commission or the Town of Cottesloe;
  • a single A4 page profile containing (not more than 150 words) information about the candidate;
  • a nomination deposit of $80 (cash, bank cheque or postal order);
  • a recent passport sized photograph (optional);
  • every candidate must complete the online candidate induction model available at www.dlgsc.wa.gov.au/

The Electoral Commission has developed an online system called Nomination Builder to assist candidates to complete their nomination form which includes the candidate profile. This is the preferred method of completing the nomination form and profile for elections conducted by the Commission. Candidates complete their nomination details and profile, print the completed form which has a reference number allocated and lodge it with the Returning Officer. The nomination builder can be accessed at elections.wa.gov.au/candidates-and-parties/local-government-candidates

Where an agent lodges a nomination on a candidate’s behalf, it must be in the prescribed form with a written authorisation signed by the candidate.

The documents may be hand delivered, posted or faxed to the Returning Officer and must be received by the close of nominations.


Full details about eligibility and nomination procedures for prospective candidates can be obtained by contacting the Returning Officer on 0467 805 084 or the Western Australian Electoral Commission on 13 63 06.

Mat Humfrey


Election Signage

An election sign is one encouraging a person to either vote or vote for a particular candidate in an election.

Rules associated with the placement of election signs

An Application for Sign Licence must be submitted and an Electoral Sign Licence obtained prior to erecting any signs. The $10 fee will be waived for one sign per property with any subsequent signs incurring a fee of $10 per sign.

Applications can be sent to the Town of Cottesloe by post to PO Box 606, Cottesloe, 6911 or email to council@cottesloe.wa.gov.au.

The Town allows some flexibility with election signage:

  • Signs no bigger than 0.75 square metres can be erected on private property once a Sign Licence has been obtained.
  • Election signs can not be erected on a private property more than 28 days before the election and must be removed within seven days of the election.
  • On the election day, however, please comply with all instructions from the Returning Officer.

The Town prohibits:

  • The erection of election signs in a thoroughfare, road reserve or other public property.
  • Signs erected in places that cause sight obstructions.
  • Signs erected on power poles, trees, shrubs or plants.

For further information regarding candidate signs, please contact the Western Australian Electoral Commission Returning Officer. Electoral Laws require certain information to be included on electoral advertising signs and also prohibits some content such as defamatory material.

For further information regarding Electoral Sign Licences please contact the Town of Cottesloe on 9285 5000.