To obtain a building approval, an application must be lodged with the Town of Cottesloe who under the Building Act 2011 is responsible for issuing building, demolition and occupancy permits, and building approval certificates.

Building applications are assessed using the National Construction Codes, Building Act 2011 and Building Regulations 2012, plus relevant Australian Standards and legislation.

building permit must be obtained before commencing any building work. You are advised that it is an offence under the Building Act 2011 to undertake building works without first obtaining a building permit.  The penalty for doing so is up to $50,000 for the first offence.

If you are unsure whether you need a building permit please read the fact sheet Do I Need A Building Permit or call our Building Services team on 9285 5000 

For easy reference before commencing works within the Town of Cottesloe, please read a quick overview of the Building Act 2011 Overview Building Act 2011

Application Forms and Fees (Building)

Download application forms relating to the Building Department including application forms for Building Permits, Demolition Permits and Occupancy Permit Application Forms.  

Asbestos Removal Form 

Important Information

Important information regarding building in the Town.

Private Swimming Pools and Spas

Important information regarding private swimming pools and spas including inspections, decommissioning and fencing requirements.